17 November 2007

My scale keeps saying 285.

Since it's never lied to me before, I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that I weigh 285 lbs now. I don't really want to acknowledge it, but ignoring it will only hurt me in the end.

I can believe that I weigh 285. My frame was not built to carry quite so much weight and lately the joints in my legs have been aching whenever I walk for more than 5 minutes at a time. I feel like an old man. I'm 19 for chrissakes! Supposedly in the prime of life (at least that's what my uncle tells me) and my father could easily put me to shame. The man doesn't watch his diet, eats whatever he likes, but he never goes overboard like I do, and he's active. I don't know why I don't have his drive for fitness, unless it's the fact that he did a stint in the Marines and I haven't - and never will. I got my voice and my artistic talent from him, but no love of fitness. The only sports I like are tennis (too unfit), kayaking (too cold now), swimming (too cold again, and I won't swim in front of other people), and hiking.... I can't come up with any excuses for not hiking. So perhaps I should start doing that every weekend instead of sitting on my bum in front of my laptop or TV. I think I will, there are a few places nearby that I can hike at.

I also need to start watching my diet again. I'll do well for a day or so, then BAM!!! Off the rails and eating myself sick, which I always ALWAYS regret. I'm going to stop drinking so much soda, and try to eat more vegetables and fruit.

On the exercise front, my TotalGym is buried underneath some boxes of winter clothing that I hauled out of storage and haven't put away yet. I should remedy that...

2 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

I was 275 when I started out. I'm now 175.

You have to take a practical approach on this and look at what the triggers are for over eating - whether it's things that are high in salt, sugar or fat, or whether it's particular emotional situations, or whether it's times of boredom, or whether it's times of habit (like when you sit in front of the TV), or whether it's a combination of all these things.

Rather than feeling week and useless for behaving like this, just accept that you do and then look for ways to change the bahaviour. If you know that chocolate always kicks off a binge, then avoid chocolate. If you always eat in front of the TV, then start eating ony when you're away from the TV.

Tackle this as a series of problems to overcome - each of which can be, but you need to break them down into their component parts rather than be overwhelmed with everything at once

Mary Witzl said...

Wow -- I was just about to introduce you to Kim's blog, and after clicking on to make a comment, I find him here!

I'll get out right now. Kim's lived this, and there's nothing I can tell you that he can't tell you better.

Damn it -- I can't help myself, so I will give you one tiny, and most likely entirely superfluous, piece of advice that always helped me when I wanted to achieve something: Take it one day at a time. And if you do start binging, practice damage control. Tell yourself that just because you've gone and had three biscuits or eight cookies doesn't mean you ought to go whole hog and have four biscuits or nine cookies. Every little bit helps -- or hurts.